This paper summarizes the Board’s speaker series on IT systems modernization. Between January 2021 and February 2022, the Board hosted expert speakers in an ongoing effort to help educate the Board and the public about Social Security’s IT modernization efforts. Experts presented on:
- The History of SSA’s IT Systems Development (January 2021)
- Digital Identity (March 2021)
- Legacy Systems Modernization (May 2021)
- Customer Experience (July 2021)
- Cybersecurity (November 2021)
- IT Acquisition (January 2022)
- Systems Security and Usability (February 2022).
The paper identifies key themes and provides information presented during the speaker series. Following summaries of each session, the paper highlights examples of presentation material related to recommendations in the IT Systems Expert Panel’s final report. For the complete speaker series video presentations and supporting materials, visit the Board’s systems speaker series webpage.