Washington, DC – The Social Security Advisory Board will hold two public sessions at its May 2021 meeting.
On Thursday afternoon, May 20, from 12:45 to 4:30 pm EDT, the Board will host a roundtable examining Social Security’s service to the public.
On Friday morning, May 21, from 10 am to 12 pm EDT, the Board will host its third systems speaker series event on IT legacy modernization.
The roundtable presentations and panel discussions aim to:
- Share research on how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting Social Security and the people who access its services
- Identify underserved populations and relevant research questions for inclusion in Social Security’s learning agenda
- Demonstrate how Social Security can use customer experience data to improve public service
Panel 1: Understanding the COVID-19 Landscape
- Stephen C. Goss, Chief Actuary, Social Security Administration (SSA)
- Elizabeth H. Curda, Director, Education, Workforce, and Income Security Team, Government Accountability Office (GAO)
- Sarah S. Stith, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of New Mexico
- Bob Joondeph, Member, Social Security Advisory Board (moderator)
Panel 2: Developing Evidence on Underserved Populations
- Amira C. Boland, Lead, Federal Customer Experience, Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- Kristen Dama, Managing Attorney, SSI and Medical-Legal Partnership, Community Legal Services of Philadelphia
- Kate Lang, Senior Counsel, Justice in Aging
- Bethany Lilly, Director, Income Policy, The Arc
- L. Scott Muller, former Senior Economist, SSA (retired)
- Jody Schimmel Hyde, PhD, Deputy Director, Mathematica Center for Studying Disability Policy
- Purvi Sevak, PhD, Principal Researcher, Mathematica
- Nancy Y. Wong, PhD, Kohl’s Chair in Retail Innovation and Professor, University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Erica H. Zielewski, Senior Evidence Analyst, OMB
- David Lescarini, President, National Council of Social Security Management Associations (NCSSMA); Field Office Manager, McMinnville, Tennessee, SSA (technical expert)
- Peggy Murphy, Immediate Past President, NCSSMA; Field Office Manager, Great Falls, Montana, SSA (technical expert)
- Kim Hildred, Chair, Social Security Advisory Board (moderator)
Jagadeesh Gokhale, Member, Social Security Advisory Board
The Board’s systems speaker series is an ongoing effort to help educate the public about Social Security’s IT modernization.
Speaker Series on Modernizing Legacy IT Systems
- Kevin C. Walsh, Director of Information Technology and Cybersecurity, GAO
- Robert Klopp, Owner/Principal, Skyland Digital Services; former Deputy Commissioner for Systems and Chief Information Officer, SSA
- Nancy Altman, Member, Social Security Advisory Board (moderator)
The Board will host the events on Zoom and provide live closed captioning. Recordings will be made available on the Board’s website following the meeting. For past sessions, visit the Board’s meeting page.
The Board is committed to ensuring that its meetings are accessible. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, but at least three business days in advance of the meeting, to request a reasonable accommodation.
The Board’s mission is to advise the President, Congress, and Commissioner of Social Security on the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income programs. The Board is comprised of Presidential and Congressional appointees with professional staff.